Friday, June 12, 2009

Cindy (Kofahl) Lamkin


My blog is probably going to seem a bit boring to some. I have not travelled to exotic places or had exciting jobs. The furthest we have traveled is Disney World. I married my high school sweetheart, Steve. This August we will be married 26 years. I worked in the banking field for 13 years. When we had our daughter, I wanted to stay home with her. A few years later we had a son. Sunny is 16 and Steven is 13. When Sunny started kindergarten, so did I. For the past 11 years, I've been a kindergarten aide at Mitchell School. Most days I love it, some days not so much. The hours are great from 9:30-12:30. I'm off on all the holidays that the kids are. Steve has worked at GC Steel for over 31 years. This April he was laid off. We are hoping he'll go back within a year. He keeps busy hunting, fishing, golfing, and bowling. I have kept busy taking care of the kids, the animals (we have 2 dogs and 4 cats), the house, and Steve. My mom is 81 so I spend a lot of time with her, doing errands and such. I enjoy reading, listening to music, and yard work. I volunteer at a soup kitchen 2 nights a week. I really enjoy it, though it's not for everyone. This year with my mom's help we have been cooking there once a month. We serve anywhere from 40 to 60 people a night. I'm happy to say that 2 of my best friends in high school are still my best friends today. They are Stephanie (Hetherington) Davison and Lynn (Blum) Wilson. I'm sure we will be attending the reunion together. I've enjoyed reading the blogs. I wish there were more.

6 comments:

  1. Mary Earney WhiteheadJune 13, 2009 at 11:00 PM

    Cindy, right? :) I've been reading that GC Steel will reopen soon. I sure hope so for your family and all the employees who were laid off (incld. several of our relatives). Also can relate to volunteering -- Mark & I worked the Saturday Morning Breakfast Program thru Niedringhaus U.M. Church a few years back. Talk about a learning experience ... some people are hungry for food, others for fellowship and a friendly ear. It really opened our eyes to the needs right in our own community and what a difference you can make with any level of commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, pretty girl in high school and still pretty... Good luck and I hope your husband (Steve) gets back to work soon. I have a couple of realatives laid off from GC Steel as well, so I'd like to see them all get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Cindy, you probably have more interesting and intellectual conversations with those 5 year old friends, then you would with any of us ole classmates. My wife works at a school where she teaches and plays with kids all day, and then comes home and has to put up with the one big kid (me). And trust me..., she reminds me all the time that I'm a bigger kid (she might actually use the word baby!), than any of her school kids are... I also notice you live in Mitchell, therefore you might know my inlaws they've lived in Mitchell all their lives (Johannigmeir's). I'll do everything I can to keep the bike up right.

    I liked that, what the guy at the soup kitchen said, about the lipstick (lol). I think it was just his way of telling you.., you had a pretty smile, and if you'd frame it with lipstick (add some contrast), it make it stand out even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shari Gosnell SchaferJuly 28, 2009 at 6:30 PM

    Cindy, Hi it is good to see you. I cant wait for the reunion. I dont have a very exciting life either but I do have peace and quite, my two favorite things. I live in SW Missouri. We have 5 acres on the bourbeuse river. We love it. I have 2 boys still in high school. I started having kid late. I am looking forward to seeing you and talking to you more. It seems we didnt have very much time to talk last time. Maybe we can step outside and get some fresh air and talk awhile. See you at the reunion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cindy, I don't know if you remember me Beth Kovach Smith we hung around in grade school. Your life does not seem boring at all. You and Steve have been together for a long time and that's a great accomplishment. Also helping with the community has to be a wonderful feeling. I remember your mother and she always seemed like a loving, caring person. I've been married for 26 year also, had a son after 13 years of marriage(Ryan.) My husband Bill Kovach is a manager for a sister company of Carquest Automotive. I work in the newspaper business forever and now work for a company for 11 years again in print. Bill and I also haven't been to exotic places, Bill will not leave the states. I hang around with Angie Bigham Griffey, Darla Herring, Susan Zimmer. Both of my parents are still living and in pretty good health. I plan on being at the class reunion, but I did not see my name on the list. I hope Alex received my check, I was out of town in Alfretta Georgia for a few days and told Bill to mail the check for me. I'll see you at the Reunion. Oh and by the way you still look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth,
    Of course, I remember you. We were hanging out when Steve and I started dating. You dated his best friend Paul for awhile. I like Bill already, there is plenty of stuff to do in the USA. That's great to hear your parents are doing well. My Dad passed away about 7 years ago, he was sick a very long time, so it was the best. My Mom is 81 and you would never know it, she could probably out run me. I sent in our check weeks ago and our name is still not on the list yet. Are you still in Granite or somewhere nearby? I looked for you on facebook, but could not find you. If you don't have an account, you should make one. It's a lot of fun catching up with old classmates. I can't wait to see you at the reunion. Our email address is steve-cindykofahl@charter.net of cjkofahl@charter.net. It's good to hear from you, Steve said hi, We'll see you at the reunion.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete